From: Abhay Kedia <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] How to make iptables log to a separate log file?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:38:02
On Sunday 27 Nov 2005 9:09 pm, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
> > The main advantage and the reason why I use that is that iptables > logging messages tend to clutter up the kernel message log if not > treated specially. >
Yes and this is why I want them to be logged separately. Thanks to the helpful replies by everyone, I have been able to log iptables log to a separate file but the problem still remains. /var/log/messages is getting flooded by iptables log. I can't see any helpful output by using dmesg. The kernel config says that ULOG is deprecated so I don't know how good it would be to use it. Also the kernel.log/kern.log is not getting updated with messages like connection of a USB device and all; so can't leave dmesg altogether. Since it is a desktop machine, I will not be making database of my firewall logs.Just require my dmesg output to be clean while having the ability of looking at firewall logs occasionally. How can I achieve that? Should I switch to ULOG? I am just a bit sceptical about using a deprecated thing. Thanks once again to everyone for their replies Regards, Abhay