From: Calum <gentoo-security@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Kernels and GLSAs
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:14:07
Hello all,

I was told recently that kernels weren't included in GLSA updates, and a
new tool called KISS (Kernel Interactive Security Status) was being
developed to analyse the running kernel for vulnerabilities.

I don't know if I missed an announcement about this, but this means that
I've been running with (probably) vulnerable kernels ever since kernels
weren't included in GLSAs, and that if I had missed it, maybe others had.
(I don't update my live boxes with anything that isn't a security
update, or a well tested upgrade to add new functionality).

I prefer the idea that tracking one source (GLSAs) would provide me with
all the information I needed to keep my Gentoo boxes secure, but if we
were all to change to a new system, perhaps the kernel GLSAs should have
overlapped with this new system until it was in, tested, and adopted?

I wonder what other people on this list think about this - again -
apologies if I missed any announcement about this.

Calum

--
gpg   : FC64 140F@××××××××××××××.net
jabber: calum@×××××××××××.org