From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] How to make iptables log to a separate log file?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:46:30
Hi!

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Tobias Sager wrote:
> on 2005-11-27 16:09 Abhay Kedia wrote the following: > > Can some one please give me any links where I can read about how to easily > > configure syslog-ng.conf and achieve what I desire. If you could give exact > > entries then I would be more than greatful. > > I do iptables with --log-prefix "{fw}" > and in my syslog-ng.conf > <snip> > ... > </snip>
I use a different approach: I changed my iptables rules to use the ulog (user-space logging) target and I run ulogd. The main advantage and the reason why I use that is that iptables logging messages tend to clutter up the kernel message log if not treated specially. Also, they can be an annoyance on the console (yes I know about console_loglevel). Some also use ulog to put their iptables logs into databases which can then be searched in more complex ways than a simple grep would allow. As usual, YMMV. Regards, Tobias -- export DISPLAY=vt100 -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list