From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] How to make iptables log to a separate log file?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:46:30
1 Hi!
2
3 On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Tobias Sager wrote:
4 > on 2005-11-27 16:09 Abhay Kedia wrote the following:
5 > > Can some one please give me any links where I can read about how to easily
6 > > configure syslog-ng.conf and achieve what I desire. If you could give exact
7 > > entries then I would be more than greatful.
8 >
9 > I do iptables with --log-prefix "{fw}"
10 > and in my syslog-ng.conf
11 > <snip>
12 > ...
13 > </snip>
14
15 I use a different approach: I changed my iptables rules to use
16 the ulog (user-space logging) target and I run ulogd.
17
18 The main advantage and the reason why I use that is that iptables
19 logging messages tend to clutter up the kernel message log if not
20 treated specially. Also, they can be an annoyance on the console
21 (yes I know about console_loglevel).
22
23 Some also use ulog to put their iptables logs into databases
24 which can then be searched in more complex ways than a simple
25 grep would allow.
26
27 As usual, YMMV.
28