From: Andrew Ross <aross@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Cc: geeks@××××××.au
Subject: [gentoo-security] Security without obscurity (was: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?)
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:13:01
1 Stewart Honsberger wrote:
2
3 > I don't send anything back to any unexpected port probes because I don't
4 > want to.
5 >
6 > Sure, to some extent it is security through obscurity, but the old
7 > addage isn't entirely correct. If not for security through obscurity
8 > we'd all have our PIN numbers sharpie'd on our ATM cards.
9
10 Actually, keeping my PIN secret isn't security through obscurity.
11
12 The idea of security without obscurity focuses on keeping the number of
13 secrets at an absolute minimum. Systems designed around security through
14 obscurity tend to rely on the secrecy of certain procedures or
15 algorithms - once these are discovered by third parties, the security of
16 the system has been reduced.
17
18 Moving back to the PIN/ATM example:
19
20 Ideally, your PIN should be the ONLY secret involved - the encryption
21 algorithms and communication protocols could all be public. In the real
22 world, this isn't feasible (eg. ATMs do not authenticate themselves to
23 the card holder. If the algorithms and protocols were public, someone
24 could theoretically construct a trojan ATM and collect people's PINs and
25 bank cards).
26
27 Cheers
28
29 Andrew
30
31 P.S It's a PIN, not a Personal Identification Number (PIN) Number :-)
32 Sorry, but it's one of my pet hates (just like Automatic Teller Machine
33 (ATM) machines).
36 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list