From: David vasil <vasil@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] postfix and SASL
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:28:05
1 Joe Strusz wrote:
2 > Whenever i telnet to port 25, and issue the AUTH PLAIN command i receive
3 > this:
4 >
5 > 538: Encryption required for requested authentication mechanism.
6 >
7 > What does this mean?
8 >
9 > I could really use some help on this... its been bugging me for weeks now.
10 >
11 > Also, I do have smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes line
14 > Please help
15 >
16 > blargh.
17 >
18 > Your fellow befumbled gentoo user.
19
20 It means exactly what the error message says:
21
22 In order for your request to be accepted, you must first encrypt your
23 data stream.
24
25 Postfix is only doing what you told it to do in main.cf with:
26 smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes (only allow authentication for smtpd services
27 when TLS is established).
28
29 -dave
30 --