From: Jonathan Wright <mail@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [gentoo-security] postfix and SASL
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:50:11
1 Joe Strusz wrote:
2 > OK, well i disabled the smtpd_tl_auth_only line.
3 >
4 > And now whenever i try to connect via say outlook express on a client
5 > machine...
6 >
7 > I check the box that says, "my outgoing server requires authentication",
8 > and i do get the password prompt, however whichever login/password i try
9 > to use it gets rejected, over and over and over again...
10 >
11 > any suggestions?
12
13 SASL doesn't use system authentication (such as PAM/LDAP) by default. It
14 uses it's own password database (similar to the way samba works).
15
16 Make sure that you run:
17
18 saslpasswd2 -c <username>
19
20 to add the user (and their password) to the SASL authentication database.
23 Jonathan Wright ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
24 ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
25 --
26 2.6.12-gentoo-r6-djnauk-b2 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
27 up 5 days, 5:17, 4 users, load average: 0.47, 0.32, 0.29
28 --
29 "The world is not divided into sheeps and goats. Not all things
30 are black nor all things white. It is a fundamental of taxonomy
31 that nature rarely deals with discrete categories. Only the
32 human mind invents categories and tries to force facts into
33 separated pigeon-holes."
34
35 "The living world is a continuum in each and every one of its
36 aspects. The sooner we learn this concerning sexual behavior the
37 sooner we shall reach a sound understanding of the realities of
38 sex."
39
40 ~ Alfred Kinsey, Sexual Behavior in the Human Male, 1948
41 --
42 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list