From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Kernels and GLSAs
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:51:12
1 On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:16:36 -0500
2 "Brian G. Peterson" <brian@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tuesday 20 September 2005 06:09 am, Calum wrote:
5 > > I prefer the idea that tracking one source (GLSAs) would provide me
6 > > with all the information I needed to keep my Gentoo boxes secure,
7 > > but if we were all to change to a new system, perhaps the kernel
8 > > GLSAs should have overlapped with this new system until it was in,
9 > > tested, and adopted?
10 >
11 > While I think that kernels do need additional information to be
12 > supplied about a potential security hole (kernel security problems
13 > often occur in a module that many people may not use), I agree that
14 > kernel vulnerabilities should be published as GLSAs.
15 >
16 > I subscribe to the GLSA RSS feed, and scan that feed manually against
17 > my installed software list. The glsa-check tool is basically useless
18 > (as of gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre7), as it shows all GLSAs rather than just
19 > GLSAs for tools that correspond to packages installed on the system
20 > it is run on.
21
22 Can you explain this a bit more? glsa-check hasn't actually changed for
23 a long time. Also make sure you don't confuse the --list option with
24 the --test option.
25
26 Marius
31 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
32 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.