From: Tobias Heinlein <keytoaster@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] No GLSA since January?!?
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 12:35:52
1 Rich Freeman wrote, on 08/27/2011 02:13 PM:
2 > Note that I'm basically advocating ditching the tool. A tool is good
3 > when it improves productivity. However, right now it appears that the
4 > tool is keeping people from contributing who want to contribute.
5 > Certainly things couldn't get worse without the tool. If a user just
6 > edits an xml template and email template and posts it on the bug, then
7 > very little work should be required to review the files before posting
8 > them. Contributors wouldn't need any special access either - freeing
9 > up devs to provide more of a QA role.
10 >
11 > Ditching the tool would also simplify fixes to GLSAs. I haven't run
12 > it in a while, but took glsa-checker out of my cron ages ago when it
13 > would just report packages with vulnerabilities that had none. I did
14 > log bugs, but apparently adding one line to the xml files requires as
15 > much pain as sending out the original notice.
16
17 I have read that idea multiple times now, each of them by people not on
18 the security team or something similar. It just doesn't work that way.
19 It's like suggesting to ditch Bugzilla and instead enter bugs manually
20 with SQL commands into a database. Well, not quite, but you get the idea.
21
22 Also, as previously stated, we know that the tool sucks, which is why
23 Alex has been working for months on new tools. We really wouldn't spend
24 that much time on that if it wasn't worth it.