From: David Olsen <lude@××××××××××.com>
To: Jesse <ras1@××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Changes to traceroute in newest release
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:50:25
1 On 2003-12-16 at 17:03:40, Jesse <ras1@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Use cfengine as pointed out earlier, or write a script to do this...
3 > This is not really a big issue.
4 It IS an issue. Why do I have to install more software to make my computer
5 work like everyone elses? Why do I have to constantly monitor my permissons
6 on my computers because a (imho) poor decision about the usability of
7 traceroute.
8
9 > Seems like this is not the case here.
10 I got a lot of off-list responses that indicate otherwise.
11
12 SUID exploits are based on the premise that you've already access to the
13 system in question. If you don't trust people with accounts on your system,
14 they shouldn't have it.
15
16 Just another $.02
17