From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Matthias F. Brandstetter" <haimat@××××.at>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] hacked via Apache/PHP/CGI/...?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:29:10
1 On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 20:06, Matthias F. Brandstetter wrote:
2 > Hi all security gurus,
3 >
4 > recently I had a sec. issue with an Apache install. This box is hosting
5 > several virtual domains, one was hacked last night :(
6 [snip]
9 > Until I can update the webserver, I need to know 3 things:
10 You really should not wait on getting this thing updated.
11 And in reality you should also halted this box now and a dd backup
12 should be made for later examination.
13 If you need to look around poke around at all it should all be done
14 while the disk is mounted read-only.
15
16 > 1.) how could this guy(s) could get access to this machine,
17 (this guy could be a worm)
18
19 > 2.) how can one get shell access after exploitng Apache, and
20 It depends on the attack vector that was used.
21 Without knowing versions of anything here it's hard to answer this
22 question. See #3
23
24 > 3.) how to prevent similar attacks in the future?
25 For a second lets assume it was the this
26 arbitrary code execution via the stack or heap. If that the case then
27 your going to want something like PaX && || Grsec.
28 depending on your needs. http://pax.grsecurity.net &
29 http://grsecurity.net
30 Note: PaX is included with grsecurity
33 > ANY hints, tips, links and suggestions are welcome!
34 > Greetings and TIA, Matthias
35 --
36 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
37 Gentoo Linux Developer