From: Calum <gentoo-security@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Changes to traceroute in newest release
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:45:50
1 On Thursday 18 December 2003 2:36 pm, Kevin van Haaren wrote:
2 >
3 > Since I only have 2 machines to worry about, I'll just:
4 > chgrp wheel /usr/sbin/traceroute
5 > chmod 4750 /usr/sbin/traceroute
6
7 Sorry for the slight delay in this message, but I've been on holiday for a
8 while.
9
10 I suggest that the use of groups would better serve this purpose.
11 E.g. a nettools group, with traceroute, ping, etc chgrp'd and chmod'd 4750.
12 Using an existing group such as wheel would mean that you would be allowing
13 them to use /bin/su as well.
14
15 A shadow group, with /etc/shadow as 640, so that applications don't need to be
16 be setuid to root to read them - setgid shadow would be enough
17 (/usr/kde/3.1/bin/kcheckpass for example)
18
19 What Gentoo excels in is having very good defaults. I personally hate having
20 to make the same change on every machine I install, and in this respect
21 Gentoo is pretty good.
22
23 Anyway, back to reading the rest of the thread... :)
24
25 PS. Is this list archived anywhere? I couldn't find it on Google.
30 The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
31
32 jabber: jcalum@××××××××××××.uk
33 pgp: http://gk.umtstrial.co.uk/~calum/keys.php
37 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list