From: Bill Moritz <ego@××××××××××.com>
To: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
Cc: gentoo-security-return-565-ego=djalterego.com@g.o, gentoo-security List <gentoo-security@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Changes to traceroute in newest release
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:28:42
> Or to turn it around, on a user managed workstation its both > inconvenient and adds little to security. In fact, its easiest to just > keep a root window open and run it from there - which is insecure if > you walk away and leave it running. > > The point I am trying to make is that forcing useful tools to run as > root for everyone makes little sense on a user managed workstation > and can be counter-productive as above when users just work around > the restrictions in an insecure manner.
If you produced a product, would you want it to be considered secure or insecure out of the box? I think anyone currently looking at the various worms and virii bombarding thier internet connections can answer that one. I personally would rather have a secure product. With Gentoo, who's theme is "totally configurable", the product will only be as insecure as you make it.
> Perhaps a "secure_options" use flag to cater for those who work in > multiuser/insecure environments? I would rather not suffer an unusable > system because a few users have special requirements.
I think we should call it the "insecure_worm-promoting_microsoftesc_options" use flag. Once again, typing sudo really isn't that big of an inconvienece. You could even write an alias for traceroute to exec "sudo /usr/sbin/traceroute". -bill