From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: eradicating devfs
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:00:28
1 Dadi wrote:
2
3 > Hi again,
4 > Is there a way I can get rid of devfs? I do not find it usefull at all.
5 > The bigget problem is when I plug my pda in the usb and ttyUSB does not
6 > get created. Also, the oss device does not get created.
7 > However, gentoo came with it, so I am stuck with it.
8 > Can I unmerge it and revert to minor, major access mode?(this is the
9 > desired way of things for me)
10 > If so, how can this be done?(I know I tried gentoo nodevfs some time ago
11 > and things got bad)
14 > Thanks in advance,
15 > Dadi
18 Yes....
19
20 in your boot manager add: gentoo=nodevfs
21
22 That will end the use of devfs on the next boot. Before you do reboot, chek
23 your /etc/fstab and make sure it's pointing to /dev devices and not devfs
24 devices. If fstab points to a devfs device and you reboot, it could hang
25 the computer...
26
27 Once it boots, from a console, run: man MAKEDEV, Figure out which options
28 you want and then move to /dev and run MAKEDEV with your options set and...
29
30 You are in. You may have to create the odd device or add a missing symlink
31 or two. Other than that, it's all painless and far, far more reliable that
32 devfs or udev will ever be...
33
34 You should also stop hotplug and remove it from the startup scripts... it's
35 not used anymore.
36
37 For more information on makeing devices under /dev see the kernel
38 documentation... it's all detailed there...
39
40 Cheers.
51 Registered Linux User Number 185956
52 FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
53 Join me in chat at #linux-users on irc.freenode.net
54 Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
55 11:35am up 53 days, 14:17, 6 users, load average: 2.87, 2.96, 2.95