From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] alarming vpopmail log entries
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:13:09
1 Hi,
2
3 Finally got around to installing a log monitoring tool (logwatch) this
4 morning. I'm not sure why it doesn't give me any output for any services
5 other than syslogd (maybe cuz all the other services are dumping into
6 /var/log/messages?), but while looking through /var/log/messages for
7 stuff that logwatch might find, I saw something that made my heart skip
8 a beat.
9
10 There are a number of vpopmail entries like this:
11
12 Nov 6 10:21:51 munat vpopmail[29101]: vchkpw-smtp: password fail
13 postmaster@×××××.com:80.104.163.225
14 Nov 6 10:21:57 munat vpopmail[29103]: vchkpw-smtp: (PLAIN) login
15 success postmaster@×××××.com:80.104.163.225
16
17 Always in pairs like that... mostly with different addresses, and
18 addresses that I don't recognize. My brother and I are the only people
19 who should be able to log into the postmaster account, and we rarely do
20 so, so...
21
22 The question is, has my vpopmail been hacked or is this somehow a
23 typical vpopmail occurrence? Going back through messages, there are
24 entries like this every day. So maybe, for some strange reason vpopmail
25 prints this entry in the logs periodically?
26
27 Ben