From: Dennis Allison <allison@×××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID 1+0 question
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 00:57:26
1 I have used the 3Ware (now AMCC) products with considerable success. They
2 can be confiuged to raid 1, raid 10, and raid 5 formats as well as a bod
3 configuration.
6 On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
7
8 > Patrick Lauer wrote:
9 > > On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 13:40 +0100, Marton Gabor wrote:
10 > >
11 > >> Hi!
12 > >>
13 > >> I'm going to recieve 4x250Gb SATA disks to our new server, and my first
14 > >> idea was to make 2xRAID1 and then make 1xRAID0 out of the RAID1 arrays
15 > >> using Linux software raid so that I have our data mirrored and still I
16 > >> can use 500Gb storage space and handle it as one big "disk".
17 > >> So my questions would be:
18 > >> - could someone give me a good howto? Sorry, but I have never had
19 > >> the chance to make a RAID array before and I have no experience and
20 > >> Google doesn't seem to be helpful in this case.
21 > >> - do I need to make a /boot partition which is not part of any
22 > >> arrays or will grub boot from raid1+0?
23 > >>
24 > > grub can boot from raid1, raid0+1 will need a (small) boot partition.
25 > >
26 > > With 4 disks you could also build a raid5 with little overhead, takes a
27 > > tad more cpu and gives you 750G capacity (or 500 with one hotspare)
28 > >
29 > Take note that both using RAID5 and RAID10 in software will use a
30 > significant amount of CPU*; normally speaking (in a hardware
31 > configuration) RAID10 would outperform RAID5 by 30% or more, but since
32 > it's in software the RAID0 has to be layered on top of the RAID1,
33 > increasing its overhead by no small amount.
34 >
35 > I'd go with the RAID1 with LVM solution mentioned earlier if you intend
36 > to retain any performance worth mentioning.
37 >
38 > If there are decent Linux drivers for it, I'd highly recommend a RAID
39 > card that can do RAID5 or RAID10 in hardware.
40 >
41 > *Actually, the RAID10 solution won't use nearly as much CPU as the
42 > RAID5, but the RAID10 will spend a lot more time waiting on disk I/O, so
43 > the net result will likely be similar, if not actually worse.
52 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list