From: Jack Jackson <jackson.linux@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-server] Newbie Docs (and a couple others)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:16:27
1 Hi, all,
2
3 Sven was kind enough to take me up on my offer of providing some real
4 fundamental how-tos and docs for the Gentoo documentation. He wrote,
5
6 "Yes, Gentoo definitely needs documentation on aspects
7 that most Linux/UNIX users would find too easy to discuss. This includes
8 mounting, Linux filesystem structure, first command line usage rules,
9 permissions, ..."
10
11 Too easy to discuss? That's me! Actually, I think that articles on the
12 fundamentals, perhaps linked to from other docs with a (<a
13 href='$easydoc'>?</a>) would be really good for people who hve the
14 desire to take the plunge and try Gentoo but not the basic skills to
15 understand what options they have, say, when mounting something (or even
16 that they need to).
17
18 On the other hand, I'm not trying to make a branch of LinuxQuestions.org
19 or recreate the body of stuff out there. I'm rather looking to create
20 supplementary docs in the same "voice" and tone as the Gentoo docs,
21 Gentoo-specific where necessary, to add a tutorial of "What's happening
22 now" during an install.
23
24 So I'd like to ask if any of you have any pet areas which you know to be
25 of interest to newbies, please let me know.
26
27 Oh, and despite the email address, I'm Nick Selby, and my personal site
28 is http://www.nickselby.com; my business is at http://www.flyguides.com
29
30 Nick
31 --