From: "Daniel Schledermann (TypoConsult A/S)" <daniel@×××××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] gentoo and portage in a large scale environment
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:50:15
1 Joe Rizzo wrote:
4 >My current thinking is to have a limited portage tree that only contains
5 >ebuilds needed by the systems. Included in this portage tree will be
6 >ebuilds for custom software packages. The systems will sync off of this
7 >custom maintained portage tree. I would like binary packages to be
8 >available from a central repository and not have gcc on the systems. I
9 >would like to avoid mounting a network file system. Am I on the best
10 >path?
11 >
12 >Functionally, systems will be imaged the minimal base image via
13 >systemimager. After that, packages will be deployed via emerge. The
14 >packages will be precompiled and available. On going, packages will be
15 >updated and deployed via emerge.
16 >
17 >Please provide experience or ideas on:
18 >1) Creating and maintaining a minimal gentoo image?
21 I've done it in quite a simple way:
22 1. Make an install of how you would want the base-server to look like.
23 2. Tar it in a tar-ball called stage4-<arch>.2005.0.tar.bz2
24 3. Upload to internal web/ftp.
25 4. Install next servers with stage4 :)
26 Of couse this isnt very automated, but makes for a quicker install than
27 anything we've used previously.
28
29 >2) Managing portage and packages for a large scale gentoo environment?
32 I administer a smaller but rapidly growing serverfarm of about a dozen
33 Gentoo boxes. I distribute custom ebuilds with the gensync-tool from
34 gentoolkit-dev and portage overlay. That way all my own ebuilds resides
35 in a seperate place. I've been planning to create a second portage
36 overlay for "stable" packages, and then only let "emerge --sync" update
37 important stuff like php, apache, mysql and exim. Though I'm not a 100%
38 convinced with the longevity of such a setup. I've found that cleaning
39 up broken binary-packages and revdep-rebuild stuff currently is quite a
40 headache, so something like this must be done.
41
42 /Daniel
43 --
44 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list