From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Testing and Installing New Kernel Remotely
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:42:33
1 Is there a way to do this with GRUB?
2
3 Dan Podeanu wrote:
4 > Hello Karl,
5 >
6 > My personal experience (with lilo, you'll see why its important) says
7 > that best practice is to install the new kernel with a different bootloader
8 > label, leave the default to the working kernel and then run "lilo -R
9 > <label of the new kernel>". This basicly means that only the next boot
10 > will be done using the new kernel, subsequent boots will revert to the
11 > default (that is, the working kernel).
12 >
13 > This way, if it doesn't boot you can just get the colo staff to reboot your
14 > server and you're up with the old, working kernel.
15 >
16 > Until now I've never managed to leave a server completely unusable,
17 > even while doing crazy stuff such as installing gentoo on the swap
18 > partition of a linux running suse ;)
19 >
20 > Of course, other ideas are more than welcome ;)
21 >
22 > Cheers,
23 > Dan.
26 >>----- Original Message -----
27 >>From: "Karl Zander" <gentoolist@××××××××××××.com>
28 >>To: <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
29 >>Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 12:59 AM
30 >>Subject: [gentoo-server] Testing and Installing New Kernel Remotely
34 >>>Server will be at a colo site and run Gentoo. I am tying to think
35 >
36 > through
37 >
38 >>>how to handle kernel updates. Compiling is fine. But after copying the
39 >>>new kernel to /boot and configuring Grub, do I just re-boot and hope for
40 >>>the best? When I am at the console I can choose the kernel to load.
41 >
42 > I
43 >
44 >>>can then test the new kernel before setting it as the default in Grub.
45 >
46 > If
47 >
48 >>>the new kernel has a problem, I restart the server and choose a known
49 >>>working kernel. So far the kernels I have done have worked fine. But I
50 >>>have to think that sometime in the future I will manage to mess up my
51 >>>configuration. Mistakes happen. Its not like I will recompile the
52 >
53 > kernel
54 >
55 >>>every week. But from time to time I will want to take advantage of
56 >
57 > fixes
58 >
59 >>>or security patches.
60 >>>
61 >>>Still new to Gentoo so was wondering if there are any best practices for
62 >>
63 >>this.
64 >>
65 >>>-Karl