From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: Request for Comments: dbdeploy eclass
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:05:44
1 Hi Bishop,
2
3 On 16/04/2010 22:44, Bishop Bettini wrote:
4 > dbdeploy is a strategy for migrating a database from earlier to later
5 > versions through the use of delta SQL files. Originally implemented for
6 > Java, with a later evolution in Phing, PEAR, and .NET, the strategy is
7 > documented at:
8 > http://dbdeploy.com/documentation/
9
10 I like this idea. I think that having the ability to ease the strain of
11 upgrading applications that entail SQL migrations, as opposed to merely
12 issuing warnings, would make for a powerful tool.
13
14 > Is this something the Gentoo community would be interested in having
15 > available?
16
17 My first thought is that, as gentoo-server is a low-traffic list, you'd
18 likely find more people willing to comment if you were to post on the
19 gentoo-dev list instead.
20
21 My second thought is that this may be of particular interest to those
22 developers who are maintaining ebuilds that import the webapp eclass, as
23 web applications seem to be rather volatile in this regard.
24
25 Cheers,
26
27 --Kerin