From: Anthony Dodson <ADodson@×××××××.com>
To: "'gentoo-server@l.g.o'" <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Backup software
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:02:17
1 We use Bacula at three different sites, with three different DLT-based
2 autochangers. We are very happy with the software as well as the
3 responsiveness of the development community. Our most complex site has
4 Bacula running on a server connected to a 4-drive, 48-slot autochanger.
5 Bacula handles multiple simultaneous backups to the same drive, as well as
6 control of the robot for swapping out tapes for all 4 drives. It allows
7 (currently 3) choices for your media database, PostgreSQL, MySQL and SQLite.
8
9 I have no experience with the others you mention.
10
11 Good luck... and let us know what you choose and why...
12
13 Anthony
14
15 -----Original Message-----
16 From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez [mailto:jgonzalez@×××××××××××.com]
17 Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 12:49 PM
18 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
19 Subject: [gentoo-server] Backup software
23 Hi there,
24
25 I sent this to the gentoo-user list without much success, I hope in
26 the server list there are more people doing backups... you know what
27 they say: "there are only two kind of people: those doing backups and
28 those that never lost any data". I hope I become one of the third kind,
29 those that never lost any data but are doing backups :o)
30
31 I'm searching for some backup software with the following requirements:
32
33 * Capability to scale from a single machine to backups of full
34 networks, including heterogeneous OS (Linux, Windows,...)
35 * Capability to do full or incremental backups
36 * Network friendly (don't wanna have my network down because the
37 backup traffic ate all the bandwidth)
38 * Possibility of using different backup media (tape, CD, DVD, HD,...)
39 * Ease of maintenance and recovery, preferably with unattended
40 operation (don't wanna be hanging around changing tapes)
41 * Snapshot backups of live file systems (don't wanna have to stop my
42 web/mail/database server to do the backup)
43 * Ready to go (so please, don't tell me to use tar / cpio / mt)
44 * Of course open source
45
46 After a preliminary search, I've found Amanda, Mondo Rescue and
47 Bacula, all of them in portage. I would like to hear experiences, and
48 thoughts about this.
49
50 Thanks in advance, best regards
51 Jose
52
53 IMPORTANT WARNING:
54 This e-mail is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed
55 and may contain information that is privileged and confidential, the
56 disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. Dissemination,
57 distribution or copying of this information in an unauthorized manner is
58 strictly prohibited. Sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by
59 any virus transmitted by this e-mail. If you receive this in error, please
60 notify the sender.