From: Gilles Nedostoupof <gilles@×××××××××××.be>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] VPN server?
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:46:27
1 Have a look also on Shorewall which integrate all of the above.
2 http://www.shorewall.net/ (avalaible from portage).
3
4 Gilles.
5
6 -----Original Message-----
7 From: Steven Coutts [mailto:scoutts@×××××××.uk]
8 Sent: Wednesday, 07 April, 2004 10:02 AM
9 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
10 Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] VPN server?
11
12 I'd also recommend OpenVPN.
13
14 Regards
15
16 -----Original Message-----
17 From: Eric Sammer [mailto:esammer@g.o]
18 Sent: 07 April 2004 03:43
19 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
20 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] VPN server?
21
22 Sébastien Arnaud wrote:
23 > I would like to setup a VPN server on a small Gentoo box to use it as
24 > an IPSec head end for an office (basically to give remote access to
25 > the members of the office).
26 > Any package in the Gentoo tree that you can recommend to help me to
27 > secure the box (firewall, packet filtering) and establish an IPsec tunnel?
28
29 It sounds as if there's a few things you want to do.
30
31 For a firewall, iptables is the way to go, no doubt. Make sure you enable it
32 in the kernel and 'emerge iptables' to get the userland tools.
33 This will also allow you to do stateful packet magic and the like.
34 Snazzy stuff. (http://www.netfilter.org)
35
36 As for IPsec and that sort of fun stuff, OpenSwan (was FreeSwan) seems to be
37 one of the better options. It will do all manners of IPsec magic but I don't
38 know what clients will work (at least not first hand). If I recall, IPsec is
39 universal and most if not all clients should work in some capacity, but
40 certainly don't quote me on that.
41 (http://www.openswan.org and check out
42 http://wiki.openswan.org/index.php/interoperating for interoperating with
43 non-OpenSwan software.)
44
45 > Any of you have any experience/thoughts to share?
46
47 Iptables == your best friend.
48 OpenSwan == a close second.
49
50 Both of those sites have far more info, but hopefully this will get you
51 going. Hope this helps and good luck.
52 --
53 Eric Sammer
54 Gentoo Linux
55 http://www.gentoo.org