From: Ricardo Loureiro <rjlouro@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] PortageDB - First search tests
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:35:44
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Hi guys,
5
6 First of all, thanks to everyone that sent me emails regarding the
7 project, lot's of cool ideas, some of them regarding the
8 database design are already implemented (special thanks to Mark
9 gibson for the great tips). Now a quick status update, I won't have
10 the time to do everything I wanted, as I already said, the priority
11 is to have portage on postgres, populated with enough information
12 that will allow not only searches but calculating dependencies.
13 The search part was the easiest, and it's 99% complete,
14 just needs some new stuff I want to include, like restrict the search
15 to a category, license, etc. The hard part is the dependencies, which
16 i'm having some problems parsing them, nothing I won't solve but
17 takes time and patience, remember i'm not using any portage code
18 itself, i'm rewriting everything from scratch.
19
20 Now for the real reason of this email, there's something already for
21 the brave to try, it's a small client that can do emerge -s and
22 emerge -S to the postgres database. It's a very thin client, only
23 needs pyopenssl because it uses ssl sockets to communicate. Oh, and
24 as requested I made a small webpage so you guys can track changes
25 with RSS, the homepage is located at
26 http://mimosa.dei.uc.pt/portagedb and although it has little
27 information yet, i'll add more as time goes by. For now if you guys
28 want to try the client, just go to
29 http://mimosa.dei.uc.pt/portagedb/browser/trunk/ download
30 pdbclient.py, emerge pyopenssl (if you haven't already) and just
31 execute like this:
32
33 # python pdbclient.py -s pattern
34 # python pdbclient.py -S pattern
35 # python pdbclient.py -sS pattern
36
37 Of course the first one searches the pattern for name, the second for
38 description and the third for both. The little server is not ready
39 for abuses, like patterns that break the sql query, so please
40 although I know it's easy and fun to break the server, stay away of
41 those proof of concept that i'm already aware of and do regular
42 searches. And please report to here/email/website any problems you
43 find. If you get a connection refused that means someone managed to
44 kill the server, and I haven't done any code to ressurect it yet, so
45 be gentle. Oh, the script will not work on non-gentoo boxes cause i'm
46 using the output package of portage for the colors. Remember it's
47 still a very alpha code. Also the database was updated about 7 hours
48 ago, so you may not find the very latest packages there.
49
50 Of course the source code is all there, anyone who wants to test it
51 all feel free to do it, although it might be hard cause the script to
52 create the postgres database is not complete yet, and there are some
53 things needing an urgent clean.
54
55 Regards,
56 Ricardo Loureiro