From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] net-www/apache-1* masked.
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:54:13
1 Mark Rudholm wrote:
2 > The result, however, is that Gentoo becomes an inappropriate
3 > choice for a production server deployment. I haven't suggested
4 > Gentoo for production servers to anyone (especially my employers)
5 > since somewhere around 2003 for this reason.
6
7 Strange as that's the year I started pushing Gentoo into production.
8 One of the reasons was it allowed us to keep Apache 1.3 when Redhat,
9 Suse, etc were forcing 2.0 upon us. We weren't ready at the time, had
10 some custom Apache 1.3 modules we needed to update, and frankly 2.0
11 hadn't been around long enough for anyone to trust it.
12 However we did transition to Apache 2.0 in late 2004 because Apache 1.3
13 was 10-15% slower, module support was starting to go downhill, and
14 eventually you do need to update your systems. Being able to run the
15 content servers multi-threaded was a nice gain as well. Overall the
16 transition allowed us to grow with 20-25% less hardware than Apache 1.3
17 would have required. In a system of one hundred servers that's an
18 elimination of twenty servers, one switch, a ton or so of air
19 conditioning, half a rack, 40-60A of electric, one KVM, and so on.
20
21 You can't run 1.3 forever and IMHO four years has been more than enough
22 time to decide to update a web server even if you have thousands of them.
23
24 kashani
28 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list