From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Portage Maintenance
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:29:48
1 Mark Rudholm wrote:
2 > Is it just me, or is Portage getting out of date in a lot of areas.
3 > I keep finding that it is months out of date on software that I use.
4 > For example, OpenVPN's latest stable release, v1.6.0 came out on May 9,
5 > yet portage is still at 1.5.0-r1 (masked or not). The 2.0_beta releases are
6 > nowhere to be found. KDE 3.3 is also not masked. Postfix 2.1 took a while
7 > to show up in Portage...
8 >
9 > I also noticed that the GWN wasn't posted to the Gentoo website last week (or
10 > this).
11 >
12 > Should I be concerned?
13
14 Nope, not at all. Just remember that all of the Gentoo developers are
15 volunteers. They work on this stuff in their spare time. If you want a newer
16 version of a particular program in the portage tree, write an ebuild yourself
17 and submit it via bugs.gentoo.org.
20 Andrew Gaffney
21 Network Administrator
22 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.