From: Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable Portage tree
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:43:33
1 Hi Phil,
2
3 On Thursday 22 September 2005 12:00, Phillip Berry wrote:
4 > Just wondering if there has been any progress on the stable portage tree?
5 If you're thinking about GLEP 19 nothing much has been accomplished for quite
6 a few months now. I think all involved parties have too much to do already.
7
8 > Also, syncing the normal tree removes old versions of ebuilds, obviously
9 > this is inappropriate for a production environment where for various
10 > reasons it is sometimes neccessary to stay at an arbitrary version of an
11 > application. The loss of the ebuild specific to the legacy version of the
12 > application is a pain, will the stable tree retain older versions of
13 > ebuilds instead of removing them?
14 You could keep them in your own portage (overlay) tree and only sync with the
15 official as necessary.
16
17 > Also, will security updates ever be backported?
18 If manpower permits, but with the current manpower situation I think it is
19 unlikely.
22 > As is i said, i'm just wondering...
25 Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen (Jaervosz)
26 Gentoo Linux Security Team
27 --
28 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list