From: Karl Zander <gentoolist@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Testing and Installing New Kernel Remotely
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 22:59:48
1 Server will be at a colo site and run Gentoo. I am tying to think through
2 how to handle kernel updates. Compiling is fine. But after copying the
3 new kernel to /boot and configuring Grub, do I just re-boot and hope for
4 the best? When I am at the console I can choose the kernel to load. I
5 can then test the new kernel before setting it as the default in Grub. If
6 the new kernel has a problem, I restart the server and choose a known
7 working kernel. So far the kernels I have done have worked fine. But I
8 have to think that sometime in the future I will manage to mess up my
9 configuration. Mistakes happen. Its not like I will recompile the kernel
10 every week. But from time to time I will want to take advantage of fixes
11 or security patches.
12
13 Still new to Gentoo so was wondering if there are any best practices for this.
14
15 -Karl