From: Thomas Smith <tom@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] LVM not working after reboot
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:19:55
1 aechols@××××××××××××.edu wrote:
2
3 >To boot from a logical volume you must use an initrd. Use lvmcreate_initrd to
4 >make it. Also make sure your kernel supports ramdisks and the default size is
5 >large enough. More details here:
6 >http://www.the-infinite.org/archive/docs/lvm/howto-boot-off-root-lv.txt
7 >
8 The default ramdisk size in kernel was "8192". I added to the kernel
9 options in my grub.conf
10
11 ramdisk_size=16384
12
13 to see if a larger ramdisk would help--it didn't, I got the exact same
14 error. (I had also already created the LVM initrd using lvmcreate_initrd.)
15
16 I looked further into the initrd file and what might cause things not to
17 work correctly (I don't have much experience with initrd) and I think I
18 found the problem...
19
20 Though the RAID and LVM drivers are loaded into the kernel (i.e. not
21 modular) the RAID arrays aren't starting. That is, both are detected by
22 the kernel but the RAID1 array isn't accessible as /sbin/raidstart was
23 never executed to make it available. The initrd image that
24 lvmcreate_initrd creates doesn't include the requisite binaries--though
25 all of the required libraries are there.
26
27 I've begun looking into how to create an initrd image so I can modify
28 the stock Gentoo one to include the RAID and LVM drivers--any pointers
29 to docs that will help me along this path are appreciated.
30
31 I suppose one last question is in order: does what I described seem
32 likely to be the problem? As I said, I'm a bit new to initrd so I'm
33 basing this information off of the little that I've read about it.
34
35 Thanks for the help!
36
37 Tom
38
39 >Quoting Thomas Smith <tom@××××××××××××××.org>:
43 >>I'm having a problem with LVM after rebooting my stage3 install of
44 >>Gentoo. Here's the filesystem layout:
45 >>
46 >>/dev/md0 - RAID1 - /dev/hda1 & /dev/hdb1 - /boot
47 >>/dev/md1 - RAID0 - /dev/hda2 & /dev/hdb2 - / & swap
48 >>VG - vgroot
49 >>LV - /dev/vgroot/swap & /dev/vgroot/root
50 >>
51 >>RAID & LVM are compiled into the Kernel (no modules). I also emerged
52 >>(after chroot-ing to /mnt/gentoo) lvm-user, the LVM user-space tools,
53 >>and created an initrd files for booting / from LVM.
54 >>
55 >>The problem occurs when the Kernel runs vgscan during boot. Here's the
56 >>error:
57 >>
58 >>“vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
59 >>cdrom: open failed.
60 >>vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
61 >>vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume
62 >>group
63 >>
64 >>vgchange -- no volume groups found
65 >>
66 >>VFS: Cannot open root device "vgroot/root" or 00:00
67 >>Please append a correct "root=" boot option
68 >>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00"
69 >>
70 >>I've confirmed that the RAID devices are properly loading from the
71 >>output during boot.
72 >>
73 >>Ideas?
83 >This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/