From: Drew <drew.kay@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Cheap Gentoo firewall hardware
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:26:58
1 On 7/18/06, Ian P. Christian <pookey@×××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On 07/18/06 Drew wrote:
3 > > Multiple physical interfaces isolate the underlying ethernet traffic
4 > > to the specific 'side' of the firewall they're attached to. On a
5 > > single wire/NIC setup all you need is a packet sniffer running on a
6 > > 'outside' malicious host (in promiscuous mode) to map the firewalled
7 > > portion of your network and then configure the same host to masquerade
8 > > as a firewalled host. Once that's done, the malicious host has the
9 > > same access rights as any other firewalled host.
10 >
11 > You're failing to think of point to point tunnels links over a secure
12 > protocol, and VLANS - but your point is correct if on a standard flat
13 > network.
14
15 Agreed. Those do work but I would classify those as special cases that
16 need certain hardware/software to work properly.
17
18 I'd still classify VLANs under the flat network though. If the VLAN is
19 setup under Linux using aliases it still suffers from the single wire
20 problem. The only VLAN setup I've seen that doesn't have this problem
21 is using a switch that supports VLAN at the hardware level. The catch
22 is you need a interface/wire for each VLAN the machine is attached to.
23 True switches (as opposed to routers or hybrids) don't do the IP level
24 packet inspection needed to direct ethernet traffic from a single port
25 (on the switch) to the correct VLAN.
28 -Drew
29 --
30 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list