From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Resources for Kernel Parameter Tuning
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 03:02:28
1 On 8/7/06, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I am pretty much a beginner at resource tuning. In fact, after googling for sources
3 > that describe how to tune kernel parameters, the postgresql documents remains
4 > the best documents I've found so far.
5 > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/kernel-resources.html
6 >
7 > I would be interested if anyone else on the list knows of any resources or books
8 > that have an in depth discussion on *generalized* methods or strategies to tune
9 > kernel parameters to maximized usage of system resources and at the same time'
10 > allow for harmonious sharing between various programs/services. Hopefully there
11 > is something that describes how to configure a server's parameters beyond simple
12 > "rules of thumb."
13
14 My main resources for kernel tuning are google, common sense, and the
15 motherboard engineering manual/users guide, in reverse order.
16
17 -Mike
21 Michael E. Crute
22 http://mike.crute.org
23
24 I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
25 up where I intended to be. --Douglas Adams
26 --
27 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list