From: M Summers <msummers42@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Interesting IP Aliasing Problem
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 21:05:07
1 Thanks for the advice Konstantin. To be honest the "crazy" option looks
2 very interesting, but perhaps for another day. I think I may have found
3 my solution. It occurred to me that I just needed to have a unique MAC
4 for my ISP's dhcp server, but not necessarily for the network proper.
5 In that case, I can simply pass a "unique" CLIENTID to dhcpcd when I
6 call it, as in the following test (-T) example:
7
8 # dhcpcd -T -I 00:GE:NT:00:RO:CK eth0:0
9 IPADDR='192.168.1.105'
10 NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
11 BROADCAST='192.168.1.255'
12 ROUTES=''
13 GATEWAYS='192.168.1.1'
14 DNSSERVERS='DNS server IPs are here'
15 DHCPSID='192.168.1.1'
16 LEASETIME='86400'
17 RENEWALTIME='0'
18 REBINDTIME='0'
19 INTERFACE='eth0:0'
20 CLASSID='dhcpcd 3.1.5'
21 CLIENTID='00:GE:NT:00:RO:CK
22 DHCPCHADDR='my:re:al:ma:ca:dd'
23
24 Now, of course, I didn't actually use 00:GE:NT:00:RO:CK as the CLIENTID,
25 but you get the point.
26
27 At this point the question becomes: Will I be able to use this with my
28 IP, not just my internal router? I hope so, I will test very soon.
29
30 Another question is: How do I add this to /etc/conf.d/net so that this
31 all occurs nice & clean whrn I start net.eth0?
32
33 Regardless, thanks for the assistance. I will post with further news as
34 I learn. Anyone with any experience with this subject, please know that
35 your past and future assistance is appreciated.
36
37 Cheers,
38 Summers
44 Konstantin Astafjev wrote: