From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <support@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Network install via NFS
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:07:07
1 Anyone got any advice or pointers for installing Gentoo on a machine via
2 NFS. I have a Cobalt XTR that I want to install Gentoo on. It has 4 hard
3 drives and I want to run RAID 5. If it had less HD or if I was going to
4 run raid 1 I would just yank out a drive and install a base Gentoo
5 system on the hd and put it back in the machine.
6
7 However with the four drives it's not as easy. I guess I could yank out
8 all four and install them in another machine and then put them back in
9 the XTR. That's a major pain, and could create possible problems.
10
11 I am hoping there is a more elegant less physical way. I was thinking
12 about mounting the cdrom and booting the kernel on it via nfs from the
13 XTR. The XTR supports network booting via nfs but that's about it. I do
14 not believe I can do pxe or tftp, or anything like that. It's nfs or
15 from a hd.
16
17 Now aside from the xtr I am finding myself adding cdroms to machines
18 that only had cheap floppy drives that I used for RH network boot disks.
19 Sort of a different issue, but the same as well. I am just looking for
20 ways to get a machine up to the point where I can download stages and go
21 from there via the network. Even when I used floppies, that was just to
22 get things going.
25 Sincerely,
26 William L. Thomson Jr.
27 Support Group