From: Anthony Dodson <ADodson@×××××××.com>
To: "'gentoo-server@l.g.o'" <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] partition layout on desktop app server
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:21:47
1 I tend to put heavily used slices toward the center. For db servers, I
2 usually do something like.
3
4 root
5 usr
6 tmp
7 swap
8 var
9 opt
10 export
11
12 Mainly this is to get tmp and swap in the middle and between usr and var,
13 where I expect the disk head to be most of the time. It makes the average
14 seek more likely to be less than have the max. I have not tested any of
15 this, just do it because it seems logical.
16
17 Your situation may call for a different layout, especially if you're
18 accessing large media files within home. You'll want to put that stuff near
19 the center, maybe
20
21 root
22 usr
23 tmp
24 swap
25 home
26 var
27
28 or something like that. You'll probably want to look into bandwidth as a
29 bottleneck too. Check out your low-bandwidth X options and/or VNC and/or
30 gigabit NICs, etc...
31
32 Good luck,
33 Anthony
36 -----Original Message-----
37 From: Rodrigo Garcia [mailto:rodrigog@××××××××××××.mx]
38 Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 2:10 PM
39 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
40 Subject: [gentoo-server] partition layout on desktop app server
43 Hello fellow gentoo-server users!
44
45 I'm planning an install of an application server, that is, a GUI
46 application server via X11, as in Terminal Server. It will run desktop
47 apps like OpenOffice, gnome, mozilla, gaim, lyx, evolution... I think
48 the main performance bottleneck will be the hard-drives which, I
49 believe, are the slowest devices on any system.
50 What would you recomend for the layout of the different partitions?
51 Are access times different on different parts of the drive? I recall
52 reading that access times are faster at the beginning of the drive, but
53 I also sort of remember that access times are optimum in the middle of
54 the drive, as it's that zone where the heads are most likely to be in
55 any given moment. In your experience: what parts of the filesystem are
56 accessed more often? /usr? /home, perhaps? maybe /tmp? Is there a way to
57 measure this?
58
59 Would there be performance benefits from placing this parts of the
60 filesystem in a different order in the partition layout?
61
62 And what filesystems do you recomend for the different partitions in
63 a desktop-app-server scenario?
64
65 Any comments are welcome!
66
67 Thanks
68
69 Rodrigo
70
71 IMPORTANT WARNING:
72 This e-mail is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed
73 and may contain information that is privileged and confidential, the
74 disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. Dissemination,
75 distribution or copying of this information in an unauthorized manner is
76 strictly prohibited. Sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by
77 any virus transmitted by this e-mail. If you receive this in error, please
78 notify the sender.