From: Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] qmail woes
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 20:45:30
1 On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 16:36, Ben Munat wrote:
2
3 > I also followed Eric's advice, emerged tcpdump and watched port 25 while
4 > I tried both an address in rcpthosts and one that's not. In the former,
5 > tcpdump spits out all the data from the successful mail transaction. In
6 > the latter... nothing. I would guess that that's because there's no tcp
7 > traffic to port 25 if the attempt is denied. Hmmm, although qmail is
8 > responding with the 553, so that would seem to suggest that an smtp
9 > connection is being made. Not sure why I get no output in that case.
10 > Tried taking the port 25 restriction out, but the output is overwhelming.
11
12 If your mail sending module is has a "smart host" or "relay host"
13 setting (almost certainly), and you have this set to localhost, then you
14 need to specify the loopback interface to tcpdump. By default, tcpdump
15 will listen to eth0, and you won't see anything on lo.
16 --
17 Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
18 Office of Information Technology, Terry College of Business, UGA
19
20 Computer interfaces should never be made of meat.