From: rdmurray@××××××××.com
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Opinion: ssh to root vs sudo
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:42:53
1 On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 at 15:02, Eduardo Tongson wrote:
2 > Ssh'ing to root with key-only plus a good passphrase is best.
3 > Avoid ugly workarounds and unnecessary complexity like port
4 > knocking and sudo.
5 >
6 > ssh in as root, this is not the 90's anymore.
7
8 It may not be the 90s, but I can't count the number of times sudo has
9 saved me from disaster. I have different passwords on all my boxes (I
10 admin or work on 20+ machines), and I have far too often found myself
11 wondering why my password isn't working when I'm trying to do an 'sudo
12 reboot' (or, worse, shutdown) or some other dangerous command, only to
13 figure out that I'm typing the command in the wrong window....and that's
14 despite having the machine name in my zsh prompt.
15
16 --David
17 --
18 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list