From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] TLS over SSL?
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 02:26:49
1 Zhang Weiwu wrote:
2
3 > Hello. I today read a bit about TLS. It sounds to me TLS is a little
4 > bit more advanced then SSL, and most browsers support it (mozilla and
5 > IE). The webpages on IETF told me TLS is future version of SSL, though
6 > it has nothing very much different than SSL3.
7 >
8 > Now two questions:
9 > 1) can I obtain an SSL certificate from CA and use it to create
10 > certificated TLS website? I ask this simply because I am going to
11 > request certificate from freeSSL (thanks to they are the only wildcard
12 > certificate provider), and I did't see openssl.com talk about TLS at all.
13
14 Yes.
15
16 > 2) https == SSL or https == (SSL || TLS)? If I setup TLS website, do
17 > people still visite the site by typing https in browsers?
18
19 Yes, use https.
20
21 I think I have to give up only using TLS, but use SSL instead. Most of
22 my visitors to my site are using Internet Explorer, but I just tried and
23 found (by surprise) Internet Explorer 6 by default does not allow TLS
24 connection. The users must go to Internet Options -> Advanced -> Enable
25 TLS 1.0 connection. I know well my visitors are too stupid to do this,
26 and in Internet Cafe people have no access to Internet Options.
27
28 But why? Why IE6 choose not to use TLS by default? Are they really
29 stupid or something?