From: Gentoo Lists <gentoolist@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Processes Swapped Out?
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:55:48
1 Not sure if this is only a display problem or if I missed something in setup.
2
3 When I run ps ax I see several processes in brackets indicating they have
4 been swapped out.
5
6 For example
7
8 pid ? SL 0:00 [ntpd]
9 pid ? S 0:00 [apache2]
10 pid ? S 0:00 [CGServer] this is my mailsever
11 pid ? S 0:00 [CGServer]
12 pid ? S 0:00 [CGServer]
13 pid ? S 0:00 [CGServer]
14 pid ? S 0:00 [CGServer]
15
16 But not all processes, cron and sshd look as
17 I would have expected and show the command line.
18
19 pid ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
20 pid ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/cron
21
22 I realize processes can be swapped in and out as necessary. But I did not
23 expect a server coming up under no load to display this. I don't see this
24 behavior on my Redhat severs. This sever has 512 MB of RAM. top shows
25 about 62 MB of RAM used and all but one process is sleeping.
26
27 Using 2.4.20-gentoo-r7 kernel.
28
29 Is this normal behavior for Gentoo? Or did I miss something in setup?
30
31 -Karl