From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Setting up something similar to anonymizer
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 15:07:19
1 On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 14:43 +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > For those unfamiliar with anonymizer, it's essentially a web-based proxy
3 > that allows a user to enter a web address in a web form and have that site
4 > displayed in a frame. This is done to prevent web sites from identifying
5 > you personally.
6 >
7 > However, another thing it's useful for is bypassing site filters that some
8 > corporations have in place.
9 >
10 > So, is there anything similar to anonymizer out there that can offer
11 > similar functionality? (that I can set up on my server)
12 If you only intend to work on Unix boxen that have ssh, you might be
13 able to get away with:
14 - a squid on your server
15 - ssh port forwarding
16 - set local browser to use the forwarded port
17
18 If I recall correctly, that would be "ssh you@××××××.com -L
19 1234:yourserver.com:2345" to map local port 1234 to remote 2345
20 Squid should take care of the rest.
21
22 If there are any dedicated programs for that available I'd be interested
23 in disecting them :-)
24
25 hth,
26 Patrick