From: Jonathan Rogers <jonner@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] backups/mirroring with rsync
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 05:15:03
1 Ben Munat wrote:
2
3 > Then again, I'm stuck putting it in the backup now (it's mired in
4 > distfiles right now)... maybe I should just leave it... might make a
5 > full restore easier. Still, it would be useful to know, if my backup
6 > space started getting full, could I skip everything under /usr/portage?
7 > Is it *only* the portage tree under there?
8 >
9 > Thanks,
10 >
11 > Ben
12 >
13 > PS: I excluded /dev, /mnt, /proc, /sys, /tmp, /var/tmp, /var/cache/edb,
14 > and /var/db.
17 I do exclude /var/cache/portage (where I moved the portage tree since it
18 is really cache, not application, data). It can easily be restored from
19 public servers, so you don't need to make private backups of it, unless
20 you want to save download time. That's not even an issue if you're doing
21 the backups over the Internet. You especially don't need the distfiles.
22
23 Jonathan Rogers