From: Ronan Mullally <ronan@×××.ie>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID5 vs. RAID0+1
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:43:27
1 Hi Christian,
2
3 On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Christian Spoo wrote:
4
5 > I need to set up a RAID box of about 470GB disk space accessible via
6 > GBit LAN.
7 >
8 > The whole thing should have good performance but must be reliable as
9 > well. Which RAID mode would you recommend, 5, 0+1 or maybe any other?
10 > How about the time needed for rebuilding such arrays in case of disk
11 > failure?
12
13 You forgot to mention one of the key criteria - cost. If you've got the
14 budget for it then RAID 0+1 (aka RAID 10) is always going to out-perform
15 RAID 5.
16
17 As general rule of thumb, "which RAID should I use" questions can always
18 be boiled down to:
19
20 "Speed, Reliability, Low Cost, pick any two."
23 -Ronan
26 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list