From: Anthony Gorecki <anthony@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] backups/mirroring with rsync
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 06:07:41
1 On Sunday 31 October 2004 9:56 pm, Ben Munat wrote:
2 > Do you think it's safe to ctrl-C out of rdiff-backup (it's not even
3 > halfway through /usr/portage/distfiles)?
4
5 Yes; it's only backing-up to the remote server, your local files are not being
6 modified. It will resume where it left off the next time you run the program.
9 > And, if so, should I exclude
10 > everything under /usr/portage or just the distfiles directory?
11
12 If you can spare the bandwidth and sync time to redownload the Portage tree
13 after a system restoration, don't waste extra time and disk space by storing
14 it in a backup: this will be especially bad with incremental backups if you
15 sync the Portage tree on a daily basis.
18 > PS: just as a side question, should I have multiple version distfiles
19 > for the same package? Isn't there some way to keep that just to the most
20 > recent version?
21
22 Not that I'm familiar with, and due to the nature and context in which that
23 directory is used, it wouldn't really make sense to have such a feature.
24 Unless you find yourself frequently remerging packages after they've been
25 installed, you could easily wipe the directory after each update and save the
26 extra disk space.
30 Anthony Gorecki
31 Ectro-Linux Foundation