From: dennis@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Corporate Mail server HARDWARE question
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:35:09
1 > Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 >
3 >>> Talking about storage, I'll use SCSI drives and a RAID1 hardware
4 >>> controller.
5 >
6 >> Nonsense ;-)
7 >> Linux software raid is as fast and easier to manage. Also SCSI is
8 >> expensive - for the price of two scsi disks and a controller I can get
9 >> a 6-disk software RAID5 that will most likely outperform it and has
10 >> about 10x the space.
11 >> For most uses el cheapo SATA will be better (but SCSI / SAS /
12 >> FibreChannel has its place)
13 >
14 > An onboard RAID card has the advantage of local cache (assuming yours
15 > comes with some) which really really helps make all those 10-15k writes
16 > when shuffling mail around your through your MTA's internal queues.
17 > Using qmail about three years ago I was able to move about 2 million
18 > unique emails a day on a single machine. Without the RAID card it
19 > dropped down to just under 1 million. That's an extreme case since we
20 > weren't doing much processing on the email so the top speed was limited
21 > only by I/O.
22 > I agree that 4-6 drives of SATA is a better way to go over SCSI
23 > especially with users under 1000. RAID 5/6 (software or hardware as your
24 > budget decides) and worry less about your data. Also find our what they
25 > were paying for mail so you can use 12-18 months as your budget.
26 >
27 is everyone comfortable with SATA in this role?
30 > The big problems is nailing the requirements for this down.
31 > virus and spam checking?
32 > what attachments can you deny?
33 > calender?
34 > global address book?
35 > imap? pop? smtp-auth?
36 > web mail?
37 > How big is the average mail box?
38 > Can you set soft quotas?
39 > and so on.
40 >
41 Virus and Spamchecking will be my biggest concern. I'm happy with CLAMAV
42 at home, since it updates itself, but i haven't played with spamassasin
43 enough yet. Anyone have a place to point me to read up on a server setup?
44 They don't know about calendaring, global address book, imap/pop, etc.
45 Most mail is downloaded and deleted after a few days. The webmail users
46 mail is only kept for a couple of weeks. (default server setting)
47 now, I'd like to offer some of those things to them. Is there a
48 calendaring solution out there?
51 > Specing hardware is likely to be the easiest part once you know what you
52 > are actually going to build. :-)
53 >
54 > Assuming you do everything in house I'd lean toward Openldap as the
55 > backend for mail which should work nicely with Samba as an NT4 pdc so
56 > you could have global logins for everyone with some planning.
59 This would be the long term desire. Samba/Global logins without M$.....
62 > kashani
63 > --
64 > gentoo-server@g.o mailing list
70 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list