From: "Webmaster@××××××××××××××××××.net" <webmaster@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Disabling net.eth0
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 11:55:05
1 If you does not need the onboard card you can disable the support in the kernel, that is correct.
2 another option to stop gentoo from loading modules is simply to move the module driver file out of
3 the module tree or to rename it there ( it like not having compiled the module ) , most probably the
4 kernel will complain not to have the module 3c59x ... but never mind for testing its ok ...
5
6 perhaps you should try a " grep eth0 /etc/modules.d/* " to find out if it is configured somewhere
9 if you want to use the onboard card, I think you should give another kernel-version a try (normally
10 it doesn't hurt, excert the time of compiling) ;-)
11
12 btw: the few times I used 3com cards I had no problems using them ...
13
14 ---
15
16 Collin Starkweather wrote:
17 > This is a question about my laptop, but I figure the folks on the server
18 > list might be more in tune with the issues so please bear with me.
19 >
20 > I recently ran into a problem where my ethernet controller on my laptop
21 > died a grisly death. It kinda works for a few minutes after booting,
22 > then triggers a kernel panic. For those who want more detail, see
23 > today's post at
24 >
25 > http://www.collinstarkweather.com
26 >
27 > Problem is, it's built into the motherboard. If a kernel panic isn't
28 > triggered immediately on boot, I
29 >
30 > rmmod 3c59x
31 >
32 > which keeps the problem from cropping up and use my 802.11g card for
33 > networking. This has led me to some interesting questions I haven't
34 > been able to figure out.
35 >
36 > 1) I could recompile my kernel without 3c59x, but is there a way
37 > instead to simply keep the module from being loaded on boot?
38 >
39 > 2) My wireless card is set up as an interface named ath0. But no
40 > matter what I do, net.eth0 wants to come up on boot. `rc-update show |
41 > grep eth0` gives
42 >
43 > net.eth0 |
44 >
45 > Doesn't look like I can disable it with rc-update since it's not
46 > explicitly associated with a runlevel to begin with. Other than
47 > renaming /etc/init.d/net.eth0, which seems an awful kludge, is there a
48 > way to keep it from coming up on boot?
49 >
50 > Thanks,
51 >
52 > -Collin