From: Robert Welz <welz@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] [Fwd: Re: [gentoo-user] Basic SMTP server]
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:30:00
1 Jeroen Geilman wrote:
2 > Robert Welz wrote:
5 >> Introducing myself I run a small public web and mailserver with
6 >> Gentoo-XEN and I am continually improving my architecture. Now I don't
7 >> know how to get all the cronjob messages and Hardware failures to my
8 >> imap server without running lot's of postfix instaces.
11 > Not sure what you mean here - a well-designed MTA will not run more
12 > threads than it needs to deliver.
13 >
14 >> ssmtp seems to silently drop the outgoing mail into a dead-letter file
15 >> somewhere in the /root folter so when my network is down or my primary
16 >> mailserver fails so I will never get noticed about problems with my
17 >> hardware/software/cronjobs.
20 >> So I am looking for a basic smtp server,too but it must have its own
21 >> mail queue.
24 > In other words, you're looking for an MTA.
25 > I'd suggest Exim, as it is very easy to set up, and quite small (it will
26 > run happily on a P-100 with thousands of messages per day)
27 >
28 >> Any advice would be welcome. My tool shoul try to resend messages in
29 >> intervals or the like and it shoud save my valuable resources (small,
30 >> leightweight).
33 > Again, basic functions of an MTA.
34 >
35 > www.exim.org