From: Chris Smart <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] eradicating devfs
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:37:47
1 Hi Dadi again,
2
3 You could use udev.
4
5 You will need 2.6 kernel, and take out devfs support.
6
7 Remove all the entried in /dev/ (I suggest moving them, not deleting)
8
9 emerge udev, make some changes to your bootloader and reboot.
10
11 That is a simplified method - you could look on the forums
12 <forums.gentoo.org> or online for detailed instructions.
13
14 -chris
15
16 Dadi wrote:
17
18 >Hi again,
19 >Is there a way I can get rid of devfs? I do not find it usefull at all. The
20 >bigget problem is when I plug my pda in the usb and ttyUSB does not get
21 >created. Also, the oss device does not get created.
22 >However, gentoo came with it, so I am stuck with it.
23 >Can I unmerge it and revert to minor, major access mode?(this is the
24 >desired way of things for me)
25 >If so, how can this be done?(I know I tried gentoo nodevfs some time ago
26 >and things got bad)
29 >Thanks in advance,
30 >Dadi