From: Justin Filoseta <jf.gentoo-ml@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] SSH, updates and serial port switches
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:52:59
1 On Friday 12 November 2004 10:47 am, Richard Yumul wrote:
2
3 > > I have seen in different FAQs that running a serial cable to each
4 > > server and using a SSH serial console switch is a good idea, but I
5 > > am having trouble finding something cheap in this arena. Also, how
6 > > much better is it in terms of reliability in case something goes
7 > > really wrong with the server? FYI, all the servers are plugged into
8 > > a remote APC reboot switch but I almost never use this, as many
9 > > times it ends up invalidating the filesystem and therefore
10 > > requiring a physical intervention at the keyboard. Anyway around
11 > > this problem as well?
12
13 > This actually happened to me w/ a recent emerge; What saved me is I
14 > had a KVM over IP devices. It was a life saver...
17 While KVM over IP is handy, I have always seen it is as a hack compared
18 to a good serial console, although that is probably because I started
19 with Sun boxes in the server room and they are just designed to be used
20 over serial console. Either way, to me it seems foolish to run a
21 production server with the only remote access being served by ssh. I
22 don't mean to imply anyone here is a fool, just that the times I have
23 needed a secondary way in, I was very thankful one was available.
24
25 Before I get into the serial console discussion, having only used KVM
26 over IP a few times I am curious, is it possible to send emergency
27 SysReq key sequences through them?
28
29 A little background for the original poster:
30 With a proper serial console setup one can access and control the bios
31 (depending on the class of board), the grub console menu, and the
32 entire kernel boot process including login. That includes the ability
33 to interact with the system if it gets caught waiting for manual
34 intervention as well.
35
36 At work I use an external serial console server designed for the task,
37 if you go this route, I would recommend one with RJ45 connectors, cat5
38 is much easier to deal with and you just put an adapter on the serial
39 port of every box. That way when racks are wired up it is just another
40 network cable running to each box. Perle CS9000 series have served me
41 well, but I am sure there are better boxes out there.
42
43 Since cost was mentioned as a concern, valid considering serial console
44 servers can easily top $1k, remember that there is nothing special
45 about a serial console. Any *nix box can serve as a serial console for
46 another machine, the two boxes just need to be connected over a serial
47 port. I have seen this take the form of one old machine that was
48 stuffed full of serial ports and used in lieu of purchasing a serial
49 console. However, I have also seen this ability used to form a web
50 between servers. It was a little tricker and required documentation
51 indicating that serverA was the console for serverB and serverB was the
52 console for serverC which in turn was serving for serverA (simplified a
53 bit), but it was a usable serial console setup for the cost of a few
54 cables.
55
56 As with any second way in, you need to consider the security
57 implications, since compromise of a serial console server provides tty
58 access to at least one other machine, although normally sitting at the
59 login promt. A properly secured serial console has always been worth
60 the risk for me, but your environment may be different.
61
62 Be it serial console or KVM over IP, the ability to drop to single user
63 or even boot init=/bin/sh to perform those serious operations is
64 invaluable. Plus, if you plan ahead and attach a backup drive (usb pen,
65 cdrom left in the tray, second HD ... anything), when the system gets
66 totally hosed it can be booted off the backup medium and fixed or
67 re-installed without ever having to set foot in the server room. That
68 is of course if it passes the BIOS post ;)
69
70 Justin