From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] raid 5 question
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 16:15:19
1 On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 12:52 +0200, Dave Strydom wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm setting up a server which is mainly qmail / vpopmail
5 > i have a intel srcs16 raid controller card in the machine with 3 300GB
6 > hdd, and i want to configure it for raid5, what is the best stripe
7 > size to use?
8 That's hard to predict :-)
9
10 You could try different stripe sizes and use a benchmark tool like
11 bonnie to check the throughput.
12 In general I'd assume that a mail server has to handle many small files,
13 so a smaller stripe size should be better - 64k or 128k I guess. I
14 haven't had any disk-related performance problems yet, I think the
15 difference between 64/128/256k stripe size is negligible - but if in
16 doubt test it yourself!
17
18 Hope that helps,
19
20 Patrick
21 --
22 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move