From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] backups/mirroring with rsync
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:11:34
1 Hello,
2
3 So, I decided to keep things "simple" and just use rsync for backing up
4 my web server. But now I'm wondering if "simple" was the right word...
5 my head is spinning with all the possible configuration and command-line
6 argument permutations. Below is my plan... if there are any rsync
7 experts out there, I'd love to hear thoughts, warnings, advice, etc.
8
9 I'm only using about 5 gigs on my server's drive. I have 50 gigs
10 available on one partition alone on my home machine, so I'm planning on
11 mirroring the server into a chroot on my home machine. My IP address has
12 only changed once in the last four years, so that shouldn't be an issue.
13
14 The initial sync will suck, but after that it shouldn't be too bad...
15 not that much activity on this server. I'm figuring on setting up an
16 hourly cron job on the server to run rsync. I'll also set up a user on
17 my local machine just for this and have rsync chroot into that user's
18 home directory.
19
20 Then I'll just have the rsync start from "/" on the server. It doesn't
21 seem like that much data to mess with picking and choosing. Plus, my
22 hope is that if I should ever need this backup, I could just have the
23 hosting company run my server from the gentoo cd and rsync the backup
24 back onto the new drive.
25
26 One question I have, however, is whether I need to exclude the /proc
27 filesystem from the backup? Would that cause problems if I restored from
28 the backup and then tried to boot the restored system? Or, hmmm,
29 actually the /proc files are recreated on boot, right?
30
31 Someone told me that having the rsync server running on both machines
32 makes things go faster... though I'm not clear on how you do that. Is
33 this as simple as adding the "--server" option to the command? I was
34 also planning on doing this over ssh to get encryption and to get
35 through my firewall.
36
37 So, here's what I think I need to do: Make my new user on my local
38 machine (say, "backup-user", for example), giving him a home dir (/home
39 is on it's own partition with 50 gigs free). Then I set up the
40 rsyncd.conf file on my local machine with a module called, for example,
41 "server-backup", give it the path "/home/backup", and say, "use
42 chroot=yes". I suppose I could also put in a "hosts allow" clause with
43 my server's IP address.
44
45 Then, on the server, I put a script in the cron.hourly folder that just
46 says something like:
47
48 rsync -az -e ssh --delete --server --password-file=~secret /
49 backup-user@<my ip address>::server-backup
50
51 (but all on one line...)
52
53 If I've got this right, that would tell rsync to use "archive" mode
54 (preserving permissions and ownership) and compression. It would then
55 connect over ssh to my home machine as "backup-user", getting the
56 password from a (chmod 600!) file called "~secret", and sync everything
57 under "/" on the server into "/home/backup-user" (which is the path for
58 the "server-backup" rsync module), chrooted in that directory.
59
60 Oh crap... I just noticed that the man page says, if I'm understanding
61 it correctly, that chroot isn't available unless I connect as root. That
62 seems dumb... rsyncd is running as root on my machine, it should be able
63 to chroot. Not that I really need the chroot I guess... I'm allowing
64 only my server to connect, so I suppose I'll just skip that.
65
66 Anyway, sorry this is so long... but I wanted to make sure I have this
67 all correct before I go trying anything. Though, I suppose I'll use that
68 "-n" dry-run option before actually doing this anyway.
69
70 Well, thoughts and observations much appreciated...
71
72 Ben