From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: baselayout was Re: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:17:50
1 On 16/08/06, rdmurray@××××××××.com <rdmurray@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 at 21:21, Robert Welz wrote:
3 > > i.e. learning ldap, fixing sguile and debugging xen for nfs. Now I fix all
4 > > those init.d files all the day.
5 >
6 > Just simplifying the etc-update process by having an option to silently
7 > install files that haven't been locally modified would help a _lot_.
8 > This was my big complaint about FreeBSD, too....
9
10 I agree with this - it would make things easier. Note that you can
11 alleviate this problem to a certain extent by the use of
12 CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK. For example, if you never alter your stock init.d
13 scripts or, say, udev configuration files then you could put
14 CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/init.d /etc/udev" in /etc/make.conf. Any
15 files beneath these directories will simply be clobbered by subsequent
16 installation of packages that place files there (remember,
17 CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc" is defined by default).
18
19 Cheers,
20
21 --Kerin