From: Robert Sanders <rob-lists@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup Software (Long)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:26:26
1 On Tuesday 23 March 2004 07:32 am, Bill Roberts wrote:
2 > At the other end of the scale (the original poster has only 2 servers
3 > with limited disk space) is "net-misc/rdiff-backup". I am backing up 5
4 > machines (only about 40G) nightly to an 80G harddrive. Love it.
5 >
6 > I have no offsite storage, but I would look at some sort of removable
7 > HD solution if I needed that. Simple, fast. No tape rotations, I have
8 > snapshots for the last thirty days, restores are simple enough a user
9 > could do them. Even a full restore is easy using a livecd.
10 >
11 > For ten years I listened to the horrors of restoring from tape (I'm
12 > an instructor). At Digex, I saw tape run amok. Lots of tape, millions
13 > of dollars, no real security, in my experience.
14 >
15 > Where possible, I follow the KISS principle. That, to me, means
16 > avoiding tape.
17
18 I agree. The only _real_ downfall of using a disk system IMHO is the lack of
19 portability. I work in a data center environment though, and the need to
20 transport off-site is a lot less than say an office. If the need really
21 arised, I would probably lease transport to another facility before tapes
22 though. Not a option for a lot of people.
23
24 Were backing up ~80 machines to a terrabyte array. It's nearing ~70% full
25 right now. I've lost drives, PSU's, yet never lost the raid 5 array. IMHO I
26 can not see this being done as well on a tape backup system without spending
27 a truck load and still losing some of the convience.
28
29 Both have horror story's, but at the end of the day I still prefer a disk
30 based system. Currently, it's attached to the network via two 1000SX fiber
31 cards, and I've seen it peak ~600Mbps when its hammered on. KISS, just a big
32 box, with a big nic, and a bunch of big drives ;)
33
34 Rob