From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: Ideas for a server profile?
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:04:51
1 Matthew Marlowe wrote:
2
3 > Actually, I find myself having to install at least the basic xorg stuff
4 > on servers lately due to various java dependencies(app servers
5 > and monitoring software/etc) - but I try to keep it as minimal as
6 > possible. I know that is controversial, but I'd vote to keep the X
7 > flag in. After all, its just a little more disk space and compile time.
8
9 Won't installing the java apps themselves that require X pull it in
10 regardless of the X use flag being set? If not, the ebuild probably needs
11 to be fixed...
12
13 >> - having cron, atd, ... in system would be nice, do we want that?
14 >
15 > I'd vote no. I have never found any agreement by sysadmins about
16 > which cron daemons work best. And, many boxes dont require it.
17
18 ditto++
19
20 > Personally, I can not stand ssmtp - the first thing I have to do on every
21 > box is uninstall it and install postfix.
22
23 ditto++, although with me it is sendmail. Mailwrapper should be hard
24 masked :)
25
26 > I also wish iptables, ifenslave, and iproute2 were included by default.
27
28 ditto++
29
30 > I also enable keep alives, disable pam authentication, and require
31 > key authentication in the ssh server.
32
33 ditto++ no the pam - i hate pam on servers unless they provide some sort of
34 shell access or need it for mysql authentication... Otherwise it is
35 another layer of false security to screw up.
36
37 As far as my pretty much standard package list:
38
39 app-admin/logrotate
40 app-admin/localepurge
41 app-misc/screen (for long builds)
42 net-dns/bind-tools (for troubleshooting dns problems)
43 net-misc/netdate (for when ntp is not running/configured)
44 sys-apps/eject (for ejecting cds remotely during installs)
45 sys-apps/hotplug,coldplug (have these been superceded by udev?)
46 sys-boot/lilo
47 sys-fs/sysfsutils
52 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list